ASUS Eee - deal you may know of

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 28 21:33:32 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 10:10:46AM -0500, Madison Kelly wrote:
> *shurg*... Maybe my client has an older version of it? All I know is
> that last week when I had to fix it after it barfed on an update I
> plugged in an ethernet cable.

Was it a macbook air or some other mac?

> Or had a heck of a hallucination.

Probably had the usb adapter, or it wasn't a macbook air.  I remember
when it came out, the reviews mentioned it did not have ethernet, only
wifi.

Now given how many things require USB on the air (optical drive,
ethernet, etc), the fact it only has one seems nuts too.

It is pretty and looks good, but it became completely impractical as a
result of the design.  They could have made the thing exactly as thick
as it is, but rather than beveled edges they could have put some real
ports on the thing and made it useful.  It would probably not have fit
in an envelope anymore, but really how often is that useful?

> That was just announced, I don't think it's on any machines in the
> market yet. However, I do think it is certainly one of the most
> boneheaded moves Apple has made.

The specs for the macbook air lists displayport only on apple's website.
I think the first one may have been a mini dvi port which then needed an
adapter to turn into a real dvi or vga port.

> There has been a general trend away from "reality" and personal
> responsibility in the last twenty years. Particularly in the last ten
> years. If anything good comes out of the current social and financial
> mess, I hope it's a good date with reality.

Well I put some effort into countering that movement. :)

--
Len Sorensen