Remote calendar that works?

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 27 21:26:45 UTC 2008

William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
> I need a way to get a few dozen people to share calendars in a what that
> actually works.  The WebDAV/ics file/Lightning/Sunbird system just
> doesn't hold up - the files get corrupted constantly, and it doesn't
> play well with a Blackberry.
>
> I need something that works at least as well as Outlook/Exchange - does
> such a thing exist?  Thanks.

I'm evaluating Google Calendar, more correctly, Google Apps (Education
Edition) and Airset <http://www.airset.com/> for a small K-12 school.
It's surprising how complex calendaring can get when you start paying
attention to the details. I'm leaning more towards Google Calendar. It
is very easy-to-use and powerful but it has some limitations. Perhaps
those limitations are because I'm not using it effectively. I am able to
subscribe to GCal from Lightning and I can even make changes from
Lightning on Google Calendars on which I have read/write privileges.

We have multiple parties in the school who need access to the calendar:
staff, school administration, students, parents, the student council,
and the PSC (Parent Support Committee - we do fundraising and coordinate
social activities at the school). I am going to create one calendar per
class to keep events that are pertinent to only one class restricted to
that particular calendar, one general calendar for global events, one
staff calendar, one student council calendar, one calendar per class for
the PSC and one general calendar for the PSC. Why not put all events on
one calendar? Even in a small school, there are many overlapping
activities. The calendar will be an absolute mess of detail and there
will be no way of hiding or showing detail as needed if everything is
thrown on one calendar. By separating the calendars, I can cut down on
the amount of clutter for those people who only need to see a subset of
all the events, such as a parent, student, or teacher, while at the same
time making it easier for those who need to see all the events, such as
school administration, to be able to hide and show details as needed.
Separate calendars also makes access control easier.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis