Rogers Mobile Internet Stick working under Linux

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 27 04:42:43 UTC 2008

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008, James Knott wrote:

> What sort of device does it appear as?  My cell phone looks like a
> standard dial up modem, which means it doesn't require any drivers etc.

Exactly.  The device appears as a serial device (/dev/ttyUSB0 for me) and
is managed through pppd.  I've used wvdial to do the dial-up script this
time.

In the past I had occassionally used a GPRS phone for slow (and expensive)
data access and it appeared the same way.

There is a *gotcha* in starting the device but this isn't as bad as it
first sounds as it is easy to work around.

When the MC950D is first detected by Ubuntu (and probably other distros)
is appears as a mass storage device[1].  I fixed this problem with the
following method.  Not ideal but it works consistently:

1.  Make sure /proc/bus/usb is mounted
2.  Plug in MC950D
3.  Execute the following commands as root

rmmod usbserial
eject /dev/sr1
modprobe usbserial vendor=0x1410 product=0x4400

Now you should see /dev/ttyUSB0 & /dev/ttyUSB1 in dmesg.

You can then execute the script to establish the "serial" connection.

I'll be automating this more in due course and I hope to find a smarter
way of getting it to recognise the MC950D as a "serial" device.

[1] It actually is a mass storage device.

Rob

--
I tried to change the world but they had a no-return policy