need some help beta testing an install script

bob 295 icanprogram-sKcZck+fQKg at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 26 01:02:50 UTC 2008

On November 25, 2008 11:09 am, David J Patrick wrote:
> Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 09:33:33AM -0500, bob 295 wrote:
> >> I've created a streamlined install script for my SIMPL book sample code.
>
> [snip]
>
> >> I'm looking for some volunteers who are willing to spend the time
> >> reviewing my script and then to try it out against their particular
> >> Linux configuration.
> >
> > Hmm, so a few comments:
>
> Well Lennart, I think you just defined "clobber".
> Vastly and simultaneously scathing, educational and entertaining!
> djp
> --

This type of commentary is somewhat unfair.   I took Lennart's comments as
constructive criticism of a project which has been in existence since 1999.
Any project that has been around that long is bound to accumulate its share
of warts and we welcome all suggestions for improvement however they are
delivered.

Many people have used SIMPL over the years and by many measures it is a very
successful open source project.    I'd love to see SIMPL finally get a Debian
package and I've indicated to Lennart that we'd be willing to work with him
to scrub things into a more "standard" format.   With a Debian package
perhaps even more people would use SIMPL.

bob