Merchant software

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 24 18:14:07 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 10:47:56AM -0500, Tyler Aviss wrote:
> This actually brings up something I've been wondering about for awhile.
>
> Some people often use a specific distribution/version name in their
> sources.list, e.g "etch"
> I've tended to use the alias of "stable" or "unstable" etc. Any
> specific reason one would use the named "etch" instead of stable?

If you use the release name, then you won't get a huge surprise the day
debian releases the next version.  You get to pick when you change and
upgrade to the next release.

Also if you want to track the development of lenny and follow it into
release as stable, you would use lenny rather than testing is your
release.  Testing tends to get interesting right after a release as
suddenly the floodgates open and piles of new stuff moves in.

If you just want to always have stable or always testing, then that is
the tag you would use in sources.list.

sid and unstable are always identical so either one works there.

--
Len Sorensen