Merchant software

Dan Thomson thomson.dan-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 24 16:14:45 UTC 2008

I think that when Debian was updated to etch, they started encouraging
people to explicilty say "sarge", "etch", "lenny" etc. since that
would eliminate potential confusion when "testing" becomes "stable"
and "stable" becomes "oldstable".

That makes more sense to me. If you upgrade to the next dist, you're
going to want to explicitly say so by updating your sources IMO. The
idea of auto dist-upgrade gives me the willies :)

Oh. I just reread what you wrote. I guess it would've been simpler to
say "I agree" :)

2008/11/24 Madison Kelly <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>:
> Tyler Aviss wrote:
>>
>> This actually brings up something I've been wondering about for awhile.
>>
>> Some people often use a specific distribution/version name in their
>> sources.list, e.g "etch"
>> I've tended to use the alias of "stable" or "unstable" etc. Any
>> specific reason one would use the named "etch" instead of stable?
>>

>> - TJA
>
> Personally, I prefer the name because 'stable' and similar names are moving
> targets. If you search in a year or two and you saw the name 'stable' in
> relation to some data, it may cause confusion.
>
> At least, that's my half-arsed rational. :)
>
> Madi

Dan Thomson