Recommend a Linux-compatible Laser printer

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 24 02:20:25 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org wrote:
>
> I have a Samsung ML2250 that was major grief to attach to a Suse Linux
> system. I got it to be recognized as a Laserjet and it sort of worked, but
> the software was never entirely reliable. Samsung claimed it was Linux
> compatable, but their software did not install correctly.
>
> Now I have a Lexmark C530DN, and again, the Linux software does not
> install and correctly. The printer works, but many of the features are not
> available from Linux under Suse 10.3.
>

> I have heard enough horror stories to recommend that people stay away from
> Lexmark if they intend to use Linux. When a Lexmark system works at all it's
> more likely accidental than any deliberate attempt at support.
>
> Generally the common wisdom I follow is that HP support is the best,
> followed closely by Brother which is also very good. Cannon and Lexmark are
> to be avoided, and most of the rest (Epson, Samsung, etc) have support that
> can be good but is inconsistent.
>
> Even if you find a Canon or Lexmark printer with some Linux support, if the
> purchase decision is in your hands why not financially encourage those for
> whom FOSS support is corporate policy?
>
> Of course, if you have the oppportunity, don't forget to consult the printer
> database at openprinting.org -- http://openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi
>
> - Evan

I've never really tried some of the newer ones, but I actually had
pretty good luck with the older Optra models under Linux. Heck, but
big ones even worked under LPR before I moved to CUPS.
It's hard to go wrong with a good HP though, as I've yet to have one
that didn't work well for whatever OS I threw at it (although to be
fair my Laserjet 1018 does require an annoying firmware upload to be
thrown at it after it's powered on).

- TJA

--
Tyler Aviss