Recommend a Linux-compatible Laser printer

Glen Strom gstrom-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 22 03:40:00 UTC 2008

CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
> Evan Leibovitch wrote:
>> I have heard enough horror stories to recommend that people stay away
>> from Lexmark if they intend to use Linux. When a Lexmark system works at
>> all it's more likely accidental than any deliberate attempt at support.
> [snip]
>
> I have a feeling of deja vu. You had made similar claims before and I
> had chimed in to say that has not been my experience, at least with the
> higher end Lexmark printers. I've had no trouble connecting
> network-attached Lexmark Optra printers to various Linux distributions
> and in every case, the features, such as additional trays, duplexing,
> envelope feeders, were recognized in Linux.

I have a Lexmark E250dn, and while I don't entirely agree with Evan that
any support you get is accidental, there is some truth to his statement.
I should note that the printer is attached to my home machine and is not
in a networking environment.

This printer came with a cd that has a Linux driver and a java-based gui
control panel. I tried installing the gui. First, I had to convert the
rpm to a .tgz with rpm2tgz (I run Slackware). I found the package was
installed in the wrong place (/usr/local/lexmark). It wouldn't start
until I moved the directory unix_prt_drivers to /usr and changed the
name to lexprint (/usr/lexprint). Then, when  I tried to start the gui,
it wouldn't open because it said it couldn't find the driver for my
printer. It turned out that the gui package was made before my printer
existed.

I went to the Lexmark site and found a driver update for my printer.
Great, I thought, I'll download it and away I go. Before I did, I
figured I'd better read the installation procedure. It turns out that
you must install the driver through the gui--the same gui that won't
open up because the driver isn't there.

I then went to the Linux printer site and found a link to the correct
ppd file. It turns out you can install the ppd file easily through cups.
And you really need the link from the Linux printer site, because if you
try to find that page through the Lexmark site, you'll need the help of
a Sherpa guide and a St. Bernard with a full barrel of whisky. It's not
easily found.

Anyway, the printer works well (all of the features work as advertised),
and I'm pleased with it. I'm just not pleased with the crappy software
provided by Lexmark.

--
Glen Strom
gstrom-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org