Recommend a Linux-compatible Laser printer

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 21 19:14:47 UTC 2008

> Salman Ahmed wrote:
>> My years old Lexmark Optra laser printer is on its deathbed and I am
>> looking to replace it with a current similar laser printer.
>>
>> I am looking for recommendations for a low-cost mono laser printer that
>> is Linux-compatible and easy to setup under Linux. Network support is
>> not required as this printer will just be direct-attached to a PC.
>> Ideally I want to spend < $100.00.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

>> Salman Ahmed
>
> I was in Future Shop yesterday and they have a Samsung ML 2240 on for
> $69.99. I have had a Samsung ML 1210 for 6 years and it has always been
> recognized / configured by linux immediately.
>
> HTH

I have a Samsung ML2250 that was major grief to attach to a Suse Linux
system. I got it to be recognized as a Laserjet and it sort of worked, but
the software was never entirely reliable. Samsung claimed it was Linux
compatable, but their software did not install correctly.

Now I have a Lexmark C530DN, and again, the Linux software does not
install and correctly. The printer works, but many of the features are not
available from Linux under Suse 10.3.

So just because it says 'Linux Compatable' on the box does not mean much.

Peter

Peter

--
Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto