Recommend a Linux-compatible Laser printer

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 21 18:27:33 UTC 2008

Salman Ahmed wrote:
> My years old Lexmark Optra laser printer is on its deathbed and I am looking to replace it with a current similar laser printer.
>
> I am looking for recommendations for a low-cost mono laser printer that is Linux-compatible and easy to setup under Linux. Network support is not required as this printer will just be direct-attached to a PC. Ideally I want to spend < $100.00.
>
> Thanks!
>

> Salman Ahmed

Funny you should ask... I *just* got a Brother HL-5250-DN yesterday, and
just finished printing my first decent size document with it. Supports
duplex and networking and I got it on sale from Staples for ~$200 taxes
in and delivered, though I think it's normally about $260.

I installed it on an Ubuntu 7.10 machine and it was automatically
detected by Ubuntu 8.10. It is recommended you download the PPD file
from Brother though. That's what I did and it was a totally painless
setup. I printed asian character-set documents with no trouble and it's
a very clear print job.

So ya, that's a recommendation. :)

Madi