[OT] Rogers DNS Games? I Can't Access craigslist.org

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 21 14:55:04 UTC 2008

Stephen wrote:
> I have Roger's as my ISP.
>
> All of my Internet functions work fine.
>
> I can access web sites, all except craigslist.org
>
> Firefox reports the connection was refused.
>
> I ping, the name resolves, but I get no response.
>
> I try with IE (Beta) and get flipped over to Google and the results of a
> search for craigslist.org
>
> Safari reports that it could not connect to the server.
>
> What is really strange is that this link works:
> https://accounts.craigslist.org/login
>
> The Rogers tech verified that the site was up and created a trouble ticket.
>
> Anyone have any ideas on this?

I can ping it, via my Rogers account.  It's likely their server problem
if the name resolves to the correct address.  You could try traceroute
to see where it goes.  Bear in mind, Rogers does not maintain the
records for hosts that are outside of their network.  When a DNS request
is made to their DNS servers, they refer to a more authoritative DNS
server.  It may take multiple attempts, working up through the .org (or
other) root server, which then points to a DNS server that's closer to
the target.  Rogers may then temporarily cache that DNS info.  Bottom
line, if other lookups work fine, it's likely not the Rogers DNS server.