how to create a self extracting tarball?

bob 295 icanprogram-sKcZck+fQKg at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 20 17:58:08 UTC 2008

I'm trying to streamline the installation of a tarball for an open source
project I maintain.    Currently the users manually undo the tarball and then
manually execute a build script from within that tarball.  eg.

tar -zxvf simpl.3.2.1.tar.gz
simpl/scripts/buildsimpl

I'd like to simplify things to the point that the user downloads a file called
"simpl.3.2.1" and then installs it by typing that file name.  ie. simpl.3.2.1

Any ideas how I could go about this?

Certainly I could build in some self extraction and autolocation logic into a
higher level script which I bundle into my tarball and call it "installer".
The process simplifies a little to:

tar -zxvf simpl.3.2.1.tar.gz installer
./installer

but that doesn't meet my goal of a self extracting file.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

bob