ubuntu / I-INC

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 18 14:33:40 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 08:20:35PM -0500, Mr Chris Aitken wrote:
> Aaah, I'm glad I mentioned the KVM switch (and I'm glad you picked up on
> it). Your idea to boot with no KVM switch was a good one because it made
> me realize that I haven't been giving linux a chance to see the new
> display (even if only through the KVM switch). What I think I have been
> doing is booting the XP box at the same time as the linux box. So, what
> I think happened was I start the linux box, then KVM-switch to the XP
> box (booting), so the XP box gets to see the new display, but the linux
> box never gets to see the display and offers me a couple of measly
> resolutions.
>
> Anyway, you inspired me to KVM-switch to the linux box, restart linux
> and patiently watch while it completely booted. It did see the display
> through the KVM switch and offered me all kinds of resolutions. So, I
> didn't have to boot without the KVM switch - though I did need to boot
> to linux while KVM-switched to linux and let it finish its boot.
>
> I don't really know which Resolution is best but I chose one that lets
> me run a bunch of applications at a nice size and doesn't hide the panel
> on me. I chose 1280 X 960. However, the only Refresh offered is 60 Hz
> which is kind of lame.

For a 24" or higher display, the correct resolution is 1920x1200 on
every display I have ever seen. Anything else will be quite blurry.
There are 30" screens that run 2560x1600, but nothing smaller than that
would do that.  A few weird ones are 1920x1080 because they are really
meant for HDTV use.

1280x960 is also a 4:3 aspect ratio which will look squashed on a 16:10
display (or 16:9 for the weird HDTV ones).

--
Len Sorensen