Chosing cheap desktop: recommendation?

Scott Allen scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 18 10:56:16 UTC 2008

On Mon Nov 17,2008 05:26:16 AM Mike Kallies wrote:
> Their website http://www.factorydirect.ca shows all their stock.
> Does anyone know if their warranty is any good?

I've never had to use a Factory Direct warranty but had a good
experience:

I bought a refurb PC from them recently (HP dx5150sff) for $70. It
came with the key sticker for WinXP Professional but had FreeDOS
installed on the hard drive.

I tried to install an OEM version of WinXP Pro but had trouble
activating it. I called MicroSoft and after being bounced around a
few times, ended up talking to the HP business PC division (someone
in India). I was surprised to find that the system was still covered
under the original HP three year warranty, until March 2009. Because
it was still under warranty, they shipped me the system and Windows
recovery CD's via FedEx from Texas. The CD's arrived in under 24
hours and installed without a hitch. :-)

--
** Scott Allen   scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org **
**     Toronto, Ontario, Canada     **