Ubuntu upgrade conflict (yelp vs firefox-3.0)

Mike Oliver moliver-fC0AHe2n+mcIvw5+aKnW+Pd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 18 08:14:38 UTC 2008

The last time I upgraded ubuntu 7.10, apparently there was an update
for firefox-3.0, but it wouldn't let me have it because of something
called xulrunner, which apparently depended on something called yelp,
which I guess is a help browser.  I eventually wound up removing yelp
so I could get the firefox-3.0 upgrade; that meant I removed the following
packages as well:

  gnome-user-guide gnucash-docs ubuntu-desktop ubuntu-docs

Now I don't know what all these do, but "apt-cache show ubuntu-desktop"
suggests that it *not* be removed.  When I try to add them back, apt-get
says fine, but I'm removing firefox-3.0!

Come on, this can't really be this way.  Anyone know what to do
about this?