Installing Ubuntu on Asus Eee

Dave Germiquet davegermiquet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 18 02:11:21 UTC 2008

Hi,

Thats really odd, as I was able to install kubuntu on that same system
(except my version had the 4 gigabyte built in) without a problem. I
may have used  the altenative cd for text install can't remember. I
had it installed on a usb hard disk as well as a usb  flash disk.

It works great, you can also find hacks to make it faster as well as
work with hibernation...

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 8:00 PM, James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Alex Maynard wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, 16 Nov 2008, James Knott wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to install Ubuntu 8.04 from http://www.ubuntu-eee.com on my
>>> Asus Eee 2G Surf/Linux & 8 GB SD RAM card.  I've copied the "CD" to a 4
>>> GB USB drive and can boot from it, but whenever I try to install or even
>>> just run Ubuntu, I get only a command prompt, instead of the desktop or
>>> installer.  I suspect this may be due to the limitations of this bottom
>>> end Eee PC.  Does anyone know a way around this?
>>
>> I'm not sure if this is relevant or useful, but I had one old computer
>> that always froze during the ubuntu install.  Using the "alternate
>> install CD" from xubuntu worked for that problem.
>
> I'm using a distro that's customized for the Eee PC.  It doesn't
> freeze.  It simply leaves me at the command prompt, instead of a desktop
> or graphical installer.  The help doesn't list any command to continue
> the install.  I realize the 2G is a bit tight on space, but I have an
> 8GB SD RAM card, which I'd hoped would provide sufficient space.  I was
> hoping there might be some install parameters or other method that could
> be used to facilitate this.
>
> --
> Use OpenOffice.org <http://www.openoffice.org>

The man who is always a newbie at something,
Dave Germiquet

Everytime I learn something new,
I realize I know very little.