ubuntu sound to hi-fi amplifier

Dave Germiquet davegermiquet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 17 18:36:47 UTC 2008

If you do have to buy optical or coaxial cables, I learned that you
can find cheap prices for them at:

www.monoprice.com (5-20 dollars) for 6-50 feet

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 11:54 AM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 03:36:47PM -0500, Stephen wrote:
>> My receiver is an ONKYO 656 circa 2001. The manual says nothing about
>> S/PDIF, but it does refer to digital coax.
>>
>> I know the optical works, so that is why I was leaning in that direction.
>
> Well optical cables cost more than coax, and cards with optical are much
> less common than those that support coax.  I am not sure I have seen
> optical on anything other than onboard on a few mainboards, and on drive
> bay modules on high end cards.
>
> Of course the sound card (or driver) still has to convert the sample
> rate of the audio into whatever the link expects it to be.  Some only do
> 48khz, some do 44.1, 48, 96 and 192khz, others are very flexible.
> Hopefully your receiver supports them all, or at least the ones you are
> likely to use.
>
> Depending on how much you are willing to spend, cards such as the Asus
> Xonar D2 (or D2X for PCI express) have digital coax and optical toslink
> support.  It also has amazing analog quality.  It is supported by alsa
> in the 1.0.18 version (included in 2.6.27 kernel).  It runs about $160.
>
> Another option with digital coax/optical is the E-MU 0404PCI, which is
> about half the cost of the Xonar D2 at about $90.  This too has support
> in alsa in recent versions as far as I can tell, although I have never
> used one myself.
>
> I haven't found any cheap usb devices with digital audio (at least not
> that I can tell if have linux support or not).
>
> The cheapest option in general is to make sure you buy a mainboard with
> the feature on it in the first place, since in that case it adds almost
> no cost at all.
>
> --
> Len Sorensen

The man who is always a newbie at something,
Dave Germiquet

Everytime I learn something new,
I realize I know very little.