Alternative WM on Xubuntu? or other lightweight distro?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 17 16:33:49 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 07:50:09PM -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:
>   My experience was that it was still in multiple files, but in
> different ones than I was used to.

Well they are all in one place, and they for the most part inheret from
a single file.

>   While I agree that PAM is useful where you need additional levels of
> security (e.g. a machine that allows shell logons to multiple users), I
> think it's overkill for the average single-user home machine.  PAM
> actively interfered with my use of my machine, which is why I got rid of
> it.  Someone did point out the config file to alter to solve my problem.
> It involved basically deleting/commenting every non-comment line in the
> file.  So did another problem I ran into later.  If I want to make my
> machine usable to me, I have to zap many PAM config files.  That begs
> the question "Why bother with PAM in the first place"?  And to get back
> to my original point... how do I learn about PAM, when just about every
> answer on Google and in the man page assumes that you are *NOT* using
> PAM?

pam has never gotten in my way, and has certainly been helpful when it
comes to adding new ways to do authentication and wanting it to apply to
everything that needs authentication.

Practically every distribution uses pam by default, and doesn't seem to
get in anyones way doing it.  Not sure slackware has ever moved to pam,
but pretty much everyone else has.

What kind of weird thing are you doing with you machine that could
possibly have issues with pam?

Some people would say that for a single user machine there is no need
for any authentication of any kind.  I would say they are wrong.

--
Len Sorensen