ubuntu sound to hi-fi amplifier

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 16 19:36:57 UTC 2008

| From: Stephen <stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>

| My amplifier has a much better quality DAC than anything I would expect to
| find in a computer sound card, so that is why I am looking for digital out.

Some motherboards have S/PDIF outs and some don't.  Usually (I think)
they are RCA jacks with an orange core.  My only modern desktop with
an Intel chipset has such a jack.

I think that few motherboards have TOSLINK (i.e. optical).  My AppleTV
does (and no S/PDIF).

I guess that you should read the manual for your motherboard.

Many cheap soundcards support digital-out.  Do check if they have Linux
support before buying them (advice I ignore, with some bad sonsequences).

Why do you prefer optical over regular S/PDIF?  I noticed a while
ago that Monoprice sells converters.  I don't know about other choices.