ubuntu / I-INC

Mr Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 14 01:20:35 UTC 2008

Stephen wrote:
> Mr Chris Aitken wrote:
>> I just bought an I-INC 28" LCD display. I have a KVM switch between
>> an XP box and an Ubuntu 8.04. The XP box is running the display at
>> 1600 X 1200 at 32-bit. It looks great. My apps show as the size I had
>> before but I can fit more of 'em on the screen - exactly what I want.
>>
>> Linux, however, is only offering 800 X 600 and 640 X 480 at a
>> pathetic 60 or 56 Hz. How can I correct this? I respectfully ask
>> please not to suggest a newer version installation of linux. I moved
>> all most of my work (except I have XP to run recording software since
>> alsa still can't fully "get" the E-MU 1212m pci card) precisely to
>> get away from the re-boot/re-install mentality of Microsoft.
> Two suggestions:
>
> 1) Get the monitor and Ubuntu working as you want them with a direct
> connection. That is, no KVM switch.
>
> 2) Always boot a system so that it has the monitor.

Aaah, I'm glad I mentioned the KVM switch (and I'm glad you picked up on
it). Your idea to boot with no KVM switch was a good one because it made
me realize that I haven't been giving linux a chance to see the new
display (even if only through the KVM switch). What I think I have been
doing is booting the XP box at the same time as the linux box. So, what
I think happened was I start the linux box, then KVM-switch to the XP
box (booting), so the XP box gets to see the new display, but the linux
box never gets to see the display and offers me a couple of measly
resolutions.

Anyway, you inspired me to KVM-switch to the linux box, restart linux
and patiently watch while it completely booted. It did see the display
through the KVM switch and offered me all kinds of resolutions. So, I
didn't have to boot without the KVM switch - though I did need to boot
to linux while KVM-switched to linux and let it finish its boot.

I don't really know which Resolution is best but I chose one that lets
me run a bunch of applications at a nice size and doesn't hide the panel
on me. I chose 1280 X 960. However, the only Refresh offered is 60 Hz
which is kind of lame.

Oh well, I have most of what I want now.

Thanks - what do you want on your pizza? And can you come to Timmins to
collect it?

:)

Chris