How do you force Firefox to not eat all your memory?

Dave Mason dmason-bqArmZWzea/GcjXNFnLQ/w at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 13 19:33:00 UTC 2008

Hugh wrote:
>  $ script possible-firefox-crash.typescript47
>  $ ulimit -c 20000	# allow core dumps.
>  $ date ; firefox --sync ; date
>
> For various reasons, this hasn't been very satisfactory.
>
> - the typescript has no timestamps so I don't know which logged
>   messages appeared close in time to the termination.

man script says:
     -f      Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation:
             One person does 'mkfifo foo; script -f foo' and another can
             supervise real-time what is being done using 'cat foo'.

     -t      Output timeing data to standard error. This data contains two
             fields, separated by a space....

So you could try the -t option, though you'd have to parse it, and it's pretty ugly.

Better:

   $ mkfifo foo.fifo
   $ while read x;do echo `date`: "$x";done <foo.fifo >foo.dated &
   $ script -f foo.fifo
   $ ....
   $ rm foo.fifo

../Dave