scripting a GUI app

Terrence Enger tenger-P1ovA8G34VBEfu+5ix1nRw at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 13 17:59:38 UTC 2008

Greetings, All.

I am looking at calling OpenOffice, as one step within a longer process,
to edit a particular document.  `soffice <filename>`, whether executed
from a bash command line or a system() call, returns to the caller real
fast.  How can I make the caller wait for the user to close the
document?

Obviously--well, I think is obvious, maybe, perhaps--I could invent a
mechanism to handle this, but surely I should not have to.  And I would
expect a similar issue with any GUI application that can open multiple
documents.

Do you have hints?  Nothing in the first three pages of Google search
    gui wait completion "close document" linux
jumps out at me.

Thanks,
Terry.