Alternative WM on Xubuntu? or other lightweight distro?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 13 00:50:09 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 10:23:13AM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote

> On the other hand keeping all authentication settings in one place
> rather than spread throughout lots of config files is a rather good
> idea.

  My experience was that it was still in multiple files, but in
different ones than I was used to.

> Sometimes what you know isn't the best solution and spending a little
> effort can be worth it.  Once you stop being willing to learn new ways,
> you become obsolete.

  While I agree that PAM is useful where you need additional levels of
security (e.g. a machine that allows shell logons to multiple users), I
think it's overkill for the average single-user home machine.  PAM
actively interfered with my use of my machine, which is why I got rid of
it.  Someone did point out the config file to alter to solve my problem.
It involved basically deleting/commenting every non-comment line in the
file.  So did another problem I ran into later.  If I want to make my
machine usable to me, I have to zap many PAM config files.  That begs
the question "Why bother with PAM in the first place"?  And to get back
to my original point... how do I learn about PAM, when just about every
answer on Google and in the man page assumes that you are *NOT* using
PAM?