is Bob Young out of his mind?

bob 295 icanprogram-sKcZck+fQKg at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 11 15:49:22 UTC 2008

On November 10, 2008 07:19 pm, bob 295 wrote:
> On November 10, 2008 05:39 pm, Alexander Short wrote:
> > >As of 08Oct31 there are only two shipping options available for my book:
> > >Standard ($82.86US) and
> > >Express ($94.26US).
> >
> > I picked a random book and quoted out shipping to Milton Ontario.  Is it
> > perhaps your book has some strange size/weight that doesn't jive in their
> > system?
> >
> > Ground $16.65
> > Standard $82.86
> > Express $94.29
> > Super Fast - Ships Next Day Overnight Delivery $107.86
> > Super Mega Fast - Ships Today Overnight Delivery $144.29
>
> I don't know how you managed to get that price for shipping.   I tried
> again just now to see and only Standard and Express are available.
>
> Here is my book link:
> http://www.lulu.com/content/2741200
>
> I'm not the only one experiencing this problem.    The Lulu forums are full
> of hugely dissatisfied customers from all around the globe.    One customer
> was complaining that shipping his DVD (Lulu sells more than books) to Spain
> was costing over 100 Euros,   so it has nothing to do with weight or size.
>
> bob

Thanks to Alexander's experiment I did one of my own this morning.   I created
a Lulu account in my wife's name.    When I used that account to order my
book I was presented with the same options as Alexander reported.

Same book.   Same address.   2 different accounts.   2 very different sets of
shipping options.   = software bug.

This Lulu problem should become a case study.     For want of what may turn
out to be a software glitch,  in less than two weeks Lulu has managed to piss
off a large fraction of their creator community and drive them to explore a
very viable competitor in CreativeSpace.com.

Enough said.

bob