Alternative WM on Xubuntu? or other lightweight distro?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 10 23:50:53 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 08:17:48PM -0500, Christopher Browne wrote

> I'm responding to this using an Acer "netbook" running Ubuntu, and I
> have eliminated Metacity & compiz in favour of the keyboard-based WM,
> "ratpoison."
>
> In *that* sense, it's certainly practical to replace the "window
> manager" portions with lighter-weight things.
>
> Unfortunately, by doing so, I lose the automatic linking-in of bits of
> GNOME (e.g. - in terms of system management tools), and this loses me
> the ability to follow "Ubuntu-oriented" instructions.  And if you
> decline to use "GNOME-based bits," your friends will suffer in the
> same fashion.

  This reminds me of a few years ago when PAM was default on Gentoo.  As
far as security settings were concerned "everything you know is wrong".
RTFM doesn't work when sttings made in PAM totally override settings
made in the standard config file listed in the man page.  I switched off
PAM as soon as someone pointed me to the HOWTO page on the Gentoo Wiki.