is Bob Young out of his mind?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 10 16:20:47 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 11:01 AM, bob 295 <icanprogram-sKcZck+fQKg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> When Bob Young left RedHat he used some of his wealth to setup a publish on
> demand service called Lulu.com.    I recently wrote and published a book
> using this service and the experience was fantanstic until this morning.
>
> I went to order a copy of my book online and discovered that the shipping
> costs to Canada had gone from $12US a month ago to $85US today !!!    Someone
> ordering my $35US book online would now pay $120US to have it shipped.
>
> Lulu.com may be using the best open source technology but someone in charge
> has just instituted a suicidal policy change.

Well, there's a new president in the Untied States, and I got the
impression from the campaigning that there was an intent for there to
be more protectionism...  This might be one of the disadvantages ...
;-)

I would note that there are several shipping methods, only some of
which are priced near $100.  It looks like the "pricey" options all
involve FedEx.  I'm guessing something happened there, and I doubt
it's under Lulu's control.
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and
expecting different results."  -- assortedly attributed to Albert
Einstein, Benjamin Franklin, Rita Mae Brown, and Rudyard Kipling