Alternative WM on Xubuntu? or other lightweight distro?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 9 21:42:48 UTC 2008

  One of my co-workers has two children.  She also has two older laptops
at home that are too underpowered to run current Windows.  You can see
where this is leading to.  One is a P4, and will probably be able to
handle Xubuntu, the "lightweight desktop" version of Ubuntu.  The other
is a P3.  I know from personal experimentation that a P3 with 128 megs
of ram is *NOT* up to handling even Xubuntu.

  Can you put in blackbox or fluxbox as the WM for any of the ?Ubuntu
variants, and drop the "desktop environment", or should we look
elsewhere for a lighter distro?  I had Gentoo running OK on an ancient
Dell P3 desktop with 128 megs of ram, by optimizing the daylights out of
Gentoo.  But while my co-worker has had a bit of experience as and
end-user with linux/unix at work, I do not recommend Gentoo as your
first linux.