creating a user for phpmyadmin

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 9 18:43:07 UTC 2008

Wading my way through setting up my first mysql database, and I've connected
with phpmyadmin, but before I go any further I want to make sure I get the user
creation part exactly right.

I'm getting the warning from phpmyadmin/mysql that "Your configuration file
contains settings (root with no password) that correspond to the default MySQL
privileged account. Your MySQL server is running with this default, is open to
intrusion, and you really should fix this security hole."

I've read some articles on setting up the first user, but they were based on a
totally manual installation and configuration, so I'm not sure if these are
appropriate. Is it advisable to edit the phpmyadmin config manually, or is
there an operation within the web interface that I'm not seeing?

--
Joe