LGPL Version Exclusivity (Was: Releasing software under both LGPL 2.1 & 3 - A good idea?)

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 7 17:54:44 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 6:39 PM, James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Scott Elcomb wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 5:40 PM, James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>
>>> You can licence under multiple licences.  Here's an example of one instance:
>>> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081104-diebold-faces-gpl-infringement-lawsuit-over-voting-machines.html
>>>

>> I fully agree with (as I'm certain any number of other companies would
>> agree with) multi-licensing.
>>
>> This specific case looks like it's deals particularly with the GPL, in
>> which (I would figure) it's completely irresponsible - not to mention
>> unethical - to use the software commercially without providing the
>> source.
>>

> Commercial use is permitted, provided a commercial license is
> purchased.  Diebold chose to use the GPL version, instead of buying the
> appropriate license.

Looking further into the information provided by the Ars Technica
article, I'm reading that the "infringement" is a result of Diebold
(and/or it's subsiduary Premier Election Solutions) using an Artifex
Software product that was released under it's own AFPL license - not
the GPL.

>From the Ghostscript list archive it looks like the version on the
voting machines was dated before the GPL release.

http://www.ghostscript.com/pipermail/gs-devel/2007-November/007481.html

It'll be interesting to watch how this all plays out.

--
  Scott Elcomb
  http://www.psema4.com/