Reliability of USB-based filesystems? Lack thereof?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 6 19:28:25 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 1:59 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 12:47:05PM -0500, Christopher Browne wrote:
>> On Linux, it was:
>> Linux wolfe 2.6.20-1-amd64 #1 SMP Tue Apr 24 21:10:58 UTC 2007 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>
>> I don't have the laptop handy, so I'm not sure what version of
>> Darwin/OS-X was involved there; it's the latest version of, erm,
>> Tiger...
>>
>> When I'm seeing the *same* behaviour on Linux as on MacOS, I'm mighty
>> suspicious that it's *not* a kernel issue.
>
> Yeah probably faulty hardware then.
>
> Some USB card readers are junk as are some usb keys.  I have never seen
> corruption on either myself.

That's the direction I'm thinking down...

I just took a look at what Canada Computers has to offer (they usually
have a decent variety of choices, at not-out-there pricing); it looks
like it's impossible to pay more than $30 for a USB card reader, which
seems encouraging.  Numerous units are in the ~$20 range, which is
what I'll look at...
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and
expecting different results."  -- assortedly attributed to Albert
Einstein, Benjamin Franklin, Rita Mae Brown, and Rudyard Kipling