Google Earth crashing X.org

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 6 17:38:22 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 03:42:27AM -0500, Mike Oliver wrote:
> Running Ubuntu 7.10, X.org 1.3.0.  This used to happen
> occasionally, but now for some reason it happens so often
> that Google Earth has become virtually unusable.  It works
> for a little while, and then if I do something innocuous-seeming
> (like, say, a mouse click that causes a window to encroach on the
> space taken up by Google Earth's window), X totally
> spazzes out.  It keeps trying, and failing, to restart
> the X server, and I can't escape out of it with ctrl-alt-F2
> or ctrl-alt-backspace -- I have to power-cycle the machine.

Sounds like video driver crashed.

gdm on Debian at least will stop and ask for help after 5 X server
failures in less than a certain amount of time.  Does ubuntu not have
that?

> So two questions: (1) Anyone know how to fix this, and
> probably more important (2) How do I tell X.org to
> GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY and let me have a text
> login prompt?

If the video driver crashed, then there is nothing left to restore the
text mode, so you can't.

Which lovely video card and driver is doing this to you?

--
Len Sorensen