ASUS Service No=276140

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 6 17:33:28 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 10:58:25AM -0500, Colin McGregor wrote:
> Well, getting the board to boot under KnoppMyth is the issue...

Just make sure knoppmyth is using a 2.6.2x kernel.  If they are still on
2.6.18 then they are about 3 years behind and should really get around
to updating before they become completely useless.

You can't blame hardware for using software much older than the hardware
after all.

I really wish the people doing knoppmyth would give you a list of what
versions of everything is included in the release, but no apparently
not.  The changelogs don't even make that clear.  What a mess.  If it
was my setup I would just pass on knoppmyth.

> 501, it does not fix the PXE issues.

What version number does the PXE code have?

> They seem to be saying it will not netboot period. But the fact that
> the board can run Windows, a supported OS seems to mean in their minds
> the board is okay...

Well it can also run linux with a recent kernel (even if it can't netboot
it).

> Well, for years ASUS has been the only motherboard brand I would buy,
> some of the nice things I have had to say about an ASUS motherboard
> can be seen here:
>
>    http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8219
>
> Right now however I am feeling burnt on the M2N-MX SE PLUS
> motherboard, and while I would like to think that it is one bad board,
> I am open to other options at this point...

Well certainly nvidia made mistakes in PXE code and the whole design of
their onboard ethernet port.  Lots of boards had problems.

--
Len Sorensen