LGPL Version Exclusivity (Was: Releasing software under both LGPL 2.1 & 3 - A good idea?)

colin davidson colinpdavidson-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 6 16:50:52 UTC 2008

First off, to release under any license (or at least, to do so legally), you
must be the copyright holder. As copyright holder you may release under as
many licenses as you choose, unless or until you enter into a legally
binding agreement with someone else not to. In other words, if you want to
do an LGPLv2.1 release and then a seperate LGPLv3 release, noone in the
world can legally prevent you.

However, if one person releases a patch under v2.1 and another releases a
different patch under v3, you may never be able to (legally) combine them.
For that reason, you need to seriously consider if you actually want your
code running around out there under 2 different (and for all that they have
the same name, incompatible) licenses.

Cheers, Colin