LGPL Version Exclusivity (Was: Releasing software under both LGPL 2.1 & 3 - A good idea?)

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 6 16:00:02 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 2:30 PM, Scott Elcomb <psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
[...]
> In order to get around this I'm thinking to excerise the "at your
> option any later version" bit and release under the LGPL 2.1 then a v3
> version immediately following (as part of the build process).

In following up with licensing-at-gnu.org, I received this reply:

  The "later version" option doesn't mean that the software is licensed
  under both LGPLv2.1 and LGPLv3. It means that the software is licensed
  under LGPLv2.1 *or* LGPLv3 (with an exclusive "or"), and it is the
  option of the distributor to choose which one.

I've responded by saying that I'm still thinking on the matter and
that I'd be in touch in a few days.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but this just strikes me as wrong.
(I can release under the LGPLv2.1, but if I want an LGPLv3 version out
there someone else has to do it?)

Just curious if anyone has any thoughts on this.

Take care,
- Scott.

--
  Scott Elcomb