Google Earth crashing X.org

Mike Oliver moliver-fC0AHe2n+mcIvw5+aKnW+Pd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 6 08:42:27 UTC 2008

Running Ubuntu 7.10, X.org 1.3.0.  This used to happen
occasionally, but now for some reason it happens so often
that Google Earth has become virtually unusable.  It works
for a little while, and then if I do something innocuous-seeming
(like, say, a mouse click that causes a window to encroach on the
space taken up by Google Earth's window), X totally
spazzes out.  It keeps trying, and failing, to restart
the X server, and I can't escape out of it with ctrl-alt-F2
or ctrl-alt-backspace -- I have to power-cycle the machine.

So two questions: (1) Anyone know how to fix this, and
probably more important (2) How do I tell X.org to
GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY and let me have a text
login prompt?

Thanks for any help,
Mike