ASUS Service No=276140

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 5 01:46:56 UTC 2008

On 11/4/08, Peter <plpeter2006-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Colin McGregor <colin.mc151 at ...> writes:
>> Since I can not trust the material in the ASUS manuals, what
>> motherboards do you sell, with the above features, that do work under
>> Linux? Further, what is the proper way to dispose of a motherboard
>> that does not perform to specification?
>
> google for: ballmer foxconn acpi specification

Well, ACPI was part of the issue I faced. The two error messages I got
when attempting to boot were :  "BIOS bug, the MCFG area at e0000000
is not E-820-reserved" and "MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to
IO-APIC". This after getting rid of a BIOS error regarding the MAC
address.

With the MAC address, the machine would boot with a broadcast MAC
address be default. After the third return to ASUS, they sent me an
MS-DOS utility that would let me change the MAC address, and some
interesting info. turned up, starting with how what ever MAC address
was put into the EEROM on the motherboard would reverse the bytes and
reverse some of the nibbles in those bytes, so an address like
01:23:45:67:89:ab would end up looking something like
ab:89:76:54:23:01 . Stuff that would cause real grief with the
Knoppmyth Linux I was using. I ended up changing the MAC address to
00:44:44:44:44:00 so everything could be reversed and still turn out.

Four trips to ASUS and now they say that since it will boot Windows
Vista, they are not going to do anything further to fix the
motherboard.... Which lands me back at square one, having spent over
$100 and a lot of hours on ASUS garbage.

I am very annoyed at the thought of buying another motherboard. I am
not going to buy another CPU, case, etc.. So, I am now in the market
for a replacement motherboard. I have called ASUS and they suggested
the M3N78 EMH HDMI motherboard which I gather from a tour of the
College & Spadina area clone dealers is no longer available.

So, here is what I need:

- Support for Linux network booting.
- No Linux hostile BIOS bugs
- MicroATX form factor
- Support for an AMD Socket AM2 Athlon 3200+ CPU
- Support for DDR2 PC2 - 5300 memory
- Onboard nVidia graphics, GeForce 5200 or better
- 1 (or more) PCIExpress x16 expansion slot.
- Something available locally, shipping charges would at this point be
an insult on top on an injury...

Suggestions? Normally I would be just looking at ASUS board, but after
this experience I think that is a brand I would like to avoid...