ASUS Service No=276140

Peter plpeter2006-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 4 12:27:44 UTC 2008

Colin McGregor <colin.mc151 at ...> writes:
> Since I can not trust the material in the ASUS manuals, what
> motherboards do you sell, with the above features, that do work under
> Linux? Further, what is the proper way to dispose of a motherboard
> that does not perform to specification?

google for: ballmer foxconn acpi specification

I have similar problems with an asus laptop that misbehaves when operated with
linux from the acpi p.o.v., f.ex. turning off all throttling and speed settings
in the linux kernel fixes most problems mut the laptop can be used as a tea
cooker (full cpu clock when idle etc). It is not an accident. A man has made
some experiments and has enabled the acpi tables for windows for linux (the acpi
code detects the os and supplies a different table for linux ! - this is a
standards violation in itself). He came to the conclusion that the manufacturer
deliberatley used an incomplete and erroneous acpi table for the linux response
version and exchanged emails similar to yours with the makers (foxconn in that
case). Imnsho this REQUIRES that the issue be discussed as widely as possible,
especially in the open source community. I am not going as far as to say "do not
buy that brand", but in view of the trouble I have had and still have, I would
have heeded that advice if it would have been available at the time when I
bought my hardware.

Just google and follow the links (the first 5 or so are already relevant). Asus
seems to also have a similar problem.

Peter