Using the buttons on the Logitech Trackman Marble FX

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 4 17:27:05 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 10:27:32PM -0500, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
> I've been using a Logitech Trackman Marble FX for a few years now, and
> it is quite adequate.
>
> http://weblog.mrbill.net/archives/2007/10/17/why-cancel-good-products-the-trackman-marble-fx/
>
> It has no real moving parts, and I suspect that unless my toddler hides
> the ball (again) I'll be able to use it for a long time.  It doesn't
> have a scroll mechanism though, which is too bad.  It does have a wee
> button just below the "middle" button that could be used as a scroll
> indicator, where you press it and then cursor movement causes a
> corresponding scroll.  Here's the question - how do I do that?

Almost certainly you don't.  The wheel sends button events, which is
what everything expects.  Turning the cursor movement into button events
would be hard.

> I see several web pages describing the xorg configs that I would need to
> do this, but they require that the button have a button number.  As far
> as I can tell, this button isn't talking to X - when I run xev, pressing
> the button does nothing.  Is this because I need to activate the button
> first in the config, or is it just not functional?  Any advice would be
> appreciated.  Thanks!

It may only have a purpose internally in the thingy.  It may also be you
are using the wrong mouse protocol in which case you won't receive any
extra buttons.

--
Len Sorensen