USB Wireless card recommendations?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 4 15:35:34 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 10:09:57PM -0500, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
> I'm looking for a USB wireless card, preferably small, that will work
> under a kernel that is not *too* cutting edge.  Any suggestions?

Unfortunately, wireless devices tend to change every few months, so
anything you can currently buy is either not supported at all, or only
supported by a cutting edge kernel.

2.6.2x should have support for a lot of the ralink chipset based
devices, so perhaps one of those could be found.

A nice list of devices is here: http://ralink.rapla.net/ along with
version numbers that it applies to.

Some that I see there would be
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=014152&cid=NT.541
(but must be version v2000 (RT2500) or v3000 (RT2501USB/RT73), which
who knows if it is or not).  Not sure that supports WPA or not.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=003485&cid=NT.541
(but must be version 4).  Again not sure if it does WPA given the specs
only mention WEP.

There are also a number of chips supported by the atheros ath5x driver
in recent 2.6 kernels.  Not sure which ones that covers, or even if any
are usb.

--
Len Sorensen