OT: Bell Internet Performance Service - Up to 7 Mbps

Meng Cheah meng-D1t3LT1mScs at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 3 16:31:28 UTC 2008

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 01, 2008 at 05:28:05PM -0400, Meng Cheah wrote:
>
>> Is anyone using the above and would like to share their experience, both
>> good and bad?
>>
>> What is the performance with Bittorrent?
>>
>> The Bell salesperson first told me that Bell does not do trafficshaping.
>> When pointed out that the issue is before the CRTC, he informed me that
>> the CRTC forces Bell to trafficshape.
>> Finally, he admitted that Bell trafficshapes because users are using
>> "excessive" bandwidth(but the cap is 60 GB per month).
>> All this in less than 3 minutes and without embarrassment.
>> I have the impression that if telling me that Obama is the AntiChrist
>> would clinch my signing up, he would.
>>
>> Any info will be appreciated.
>>

> Well Bell performs traffic shapping on the DSL backhaul, so they
> certainly are traffic shaping.  I believe they were doing it to their
> own customers long before starting to do it to other customers.
>
> Bell Sympatico also has a long history of awful service, billing
> screwups (like how to make them stop billing you for service you no
> longer have), etc.  And of course they use MSN/hotmail for their mail
> service as far as I can tell.
>
> Any other DSL provider is likely to provide better service, better tech
> support, better conditions, and lower price, and usually the same speed
> too.
>
> I will NEVER have service from Sympatico.

Many thanks to all who responded. Your feedback is very much appreciated.

I was tempted to try out Bell's 7 Mbps service because I was offered a
3-month trial for $2 per month (modem rental) without contract.
At the end of which, I could supposedly walk away without obligation.

Since Bell trafficshapes its own customers, there is no incentive to
sign up with Bell.
With the horror stories of its service, I do not look forward to 3
months of potential problems and disruptions.
My experience with the Bell sales rep above scared me.

I have been with Teksavvy for several years and am on the Premium
5M/800k DSL with 200G/month.
I can't recall having a support problem with Teksavvy and I guess I've
been spoiled :-) .

I guess at the moment, that's as good as it gets unless I switch to Rogers.
But with Rogers, I can't get a static IP, subnets and run servers
without restrictions.

Thanks again.

Meng