initial experiences with Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid)

Clive DaSilva cdasilva-q6EoVN9bke6w5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 2 21:37:05 UTC 2008

Hello Hugh

My experience with Ubuntu 8.10 was also very positive. I noticed that at
first, some of my applications (Firefox,  Opera, etc) seemed a bit slow,
but after a day or so, everything worked well. Yesterday I removed
Openoffice 2.4 which was bundled with 8.10 and installed OO 3.0. Once
again it seemed to start slowly at first but after a couple of hours,

I am extremely happy with Ubuntu, which performs admirably on my
relatively old box.. 1400 mhz athlon, 256 megs ram, 40 gig hard drive

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> I've installed 8.10 on a couple of desktops and notebooks.  It seems to
> install smoothly.  I'll just report the things that were not so smooth.
> I've only just started using Intrepid so many surprises are likely
> awaiting.
>
> - I want to choose Toronto for the timezone.  The world map scrolls in
>   unintuitive ways.
>
> - on a couple of machines, at the end of installation, it fails to
>   eject the CD.  It then asked for me to type return after removing
>   the disk.
>
> - the Canadian servers seem very slow.  Choose the main servers
>   instead.  Maybe that will improve once demand dies back to normal.
>   System:Administration:Software_Sources
>   (You should always ask for updates right after installation.)
>
> - installing jove (apt-get install jove) pulled in m4 and sendmail and
>   friends.  Scary and surprising.  (This stuff had to be pulled from
>   the internet since the installation CD doesn't have it.)
>
> - installing kompare pulled in a lot of KDE, all from the net.
>   apt-get said:
> 	Need to get 285kB of archives.
> 	After this operation, 782kB of additional disk space will be used.
>   That seems a bit much.
>
> - ejecting a disk from the desktop reminds me of Thing from the Addams
>   Family: it ejects the disk and then immediately pulls the tray back
>   and remounts the disk.  Fedora 9 got a bug like that via an update
>   and then got it fixed.
>
> I bought a couple of cheap computers from Factory Direct:
>   http://www.factorydirect.ca/catalog/product_spec.php?pcode=HP0515
>   http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/aa/en/sm/WF10a/12454-12454-64287-3328896-3328896-447468.html
> (Very solidly built (as "business" machines).  They were $70 with a
> coupon (now expired).  Not as quiet as I had hoped.  Came loaded with
> FreeDOS; sticker for WinXP Pro license.)
>
> I installed Intrepid on them.  Worked well.  Suspend actually works!
> A first in my experience with Linux on a desktop.

Clive DaSilva CMA
Tel:  416-421-2480
Cell: 416-560-8820