OT: Bell Internet Performance Service - Up to 7 Mbps

steven steven.meyer-bdq14YP6qtRg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 2 15:27:04 UTC 2008

Meng Cheah wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is anyone using the above and would like to share their experience,
> both good and bad?
>
> What is the performance with Bittorrent?
>
> The Bell salesperson first told me that Bell does not do trafficshaping.
> When pointed out that the issue is before the CRTC, he informed me
> that the CRTC forces Bell to trafficshape.
> Finally, he admitted that Bell trafficshapes because users are using
> "excessive" bandwidth(but the cap is 60 GB per month).
> All this in less than 3 minutes and without embarrassment.
> I have the impression that if telling me that Obama is the AntiChrist
> would clinch my signing up, he would.
>
> Any info will be appreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> Meng

Be careful with Bell.  I have been through a tech-support marathon with
them trying to get  even moderately reliable DSL service.  After many
weeks of frustration, they finally achieved an improvement by
restricting my Internet bandwidth to below 3 Mbps.  Even this is not
totally satisfactory because we still have periods of poor performance
and intermittent failure!  Strangely, the Internet service sometimes
improves when the line is off-hook!  I am convinced there is something
happening that is not being communicated to me.

Steve