web farm -newbie

Fernando Duran liberosec-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Fri May 30 19:33:54 UTC 2008

Hi,

Very quickly, a "web farm" is a group of servers to
support one web site, typically because you have a lot
of traffic (load balancing), or you want to get rid of
a single point of failure (reliability) or both.

The topics you mention (Openmosix, OSCAR, MPI) are for
parallel processing (running a program in multiple
CPUs/memory, typically number crunching apps like
scientific apps or image rendering); it's a very
different topic.

For a web site/app you probably want to look into load
balancing, replication etc, not parallel processing.

Fernando

--- Jose <jtc-vS8X3Ji+8Wg6e3DpGhMbh2oLBQzVVOGK at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I am looking to learn how to setup a web farm, I
> have been reading
> reviews about some books like:
>
> Linux Enterprise Cluster by Karl Kopper
>
> High Performance Linux Clusters with OSCAR, Rocks,
> OpenMosix, and MPI
>
> Building Linux Clusters  David H.M. Spector
>
> Linux High Performance Clusters [Import] (Paperback)
> by Alex Vrenios (Author)
>
> I got a couple of computer I rescue from the job
> dump and I would like
> to build a mini cluster, but not sure where to
> start, could you guys
> advice a newbie on this matters?
>
> thanks in advance

> The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings:
> http://gtalug.org/
> TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text
> below 80 columns

Fernando Duran
http://www.fduran.com