[OT] Two Computers, One Set of Speakers

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu May 29 17:12:19 UTC 2008

Some soundcards (I believe my SBLive did) even allow passthrough on
the Line-In or Mic port. Turn up the Mic/Line volume in the Output
Mixer (as opposed to the input/recording one) and see if you can hear
anything with a mic plugged in. If you can, then it should be possible
to just hook a line-jack from one box to another

Of course, this only works well if the soundcard with passthrough is
hooked up to the speakers, and happens to be in the box that's on the
most often (I'd assume the LAMP box).

To add to this discussion, what would be recommended for a
remote-audio program? I used to have my LAN-server setup with Esound,
and pipe stuff from my laptop or whatever through, but it would be
nice to have something that could play from the CLI detached, while
still allowing me to connect via a remote X-session to manage the
playlists etc.

I was originally working on a nice Ajaxy web-based solution to this,
but I'm short of free time for now. I'd really love to have something
that is easily customizable, or allows for good playlist support etc
(I always wanted mine to have a big DB where you could add extra stuff
like ratings, "volume levels", "mood" etc so I could easily just
choose a random bunch of "relaxing" songs or "loud" etc.

Ideas?

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 2:06 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> | From: Stephen <stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>
>
> | Is there some kind of cable that would allow both computers to connect
> | to the speakers?
>
> The following assumes you only care about stereo.  Things are more
> complicated if you want more channels or digital.
>
> If you are willing to listen to only one source at once, you can use a
> switch.  At least some mechanical switches are quite cheap.
>
> If you want to listen to both at once, you need an audio mixer.  This
> page shows complicated ones.  There are likely simpler and
> cheaper ones for home systems.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_mixer
>
> This looks like a good deal but I don't know much about mixers:
>  http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=PA+Systems&product=3211218
>
> You could also hook the output of one computer to the input of the
> computer.  Then the second computer can act as a mixer.
>
> In fact, an inexpensive extra set of speakers might be a cheaper and
> simpler investment.

Tyler Aviss
Systems Support
LPIC/LPIC-2