What is the best option with Zimbra

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu May 29 15:32:17 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 11:20:53PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: Myles Braithwaite <myles-Ufssi81vwmMSKvlGVnxYRVaTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org>
>
> | I am current running CentOS 5.
> | But I would suggest using OpenSUSE and Debian.
> |
> | Ubuntu and Fedora have some problems with EOL.
>
> EOL == End Of Life.
>
> In other words, you are concerned that support will disappear too
> soon.
>
> In fact, Ubuntu 8.04, the current release, is an "LTS" release (long
> term support).  Your concern only applies to non-LTS Ubuntu releases.

So far I would be concerned about the ability to cleanly upgrade to a
future version even from the LTS versions.  I have seen some rather
awful screwups in Ubuntu's upgrade from version to version so far.  That
is certainly one thing they have so far NOT managed to borrow from
Debian.

> CentOS5.x is just RHEL5.x and thus has long term support too.
>
> The Ubuntu 8.04 codebase is generally more recent than CentOS5.x.
>
> Both Fedora and Ubuntu claim that they can do version upgrades.  I'm
> too chicken to try them.  If they did work, the EOL problem might not
> matter.

Debian does version upgrades well.  Ubuntu has been a bit hit and miss
so far.  I think part of it may be their stupid idea of fixed release
cycles.  Fixed release cycles automatically result in lower quality
software.

--
Len Sorensen