I know it's off topic, but...

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat May 24 02:24:53 UTC 2008

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>
>
> |   It will
> | be better for Microsoft in the long run to not keep using their legacy
> | file formats and associated bugs anyhow.
>
> I'm not sure which bugs you are referring to, but my impression is
> that ODF has to be bug-compatible.  The key is that no Excel
> spreadsheat can have its meaning changed, even if it is a correction.
>
> One problem with OOXML is they have bugs in their Excel
> compatablility.

Don't confuse the file format with the application.  A new file format
is the ideal time to break such bugs.  Or would you rather go on having
spreadsheets that can't deal with dates prior to 1900?  If you're
reading an Excel file, accept there's a bug and fix it going forward.
Don't perpetuate it forever.  If you read through what information has
been available for OOXML, you'll find there's all sorts of exceptions
that have to be dealt with, within the various versions of Excel and
other files.