Rural high-speed?

Richard Weait richard-gNTHUr35LhcAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon May 19 00:05:26 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-05-17 at 11:51 -0400, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a friend who just moved out to the country, or so it seems to me.
> Five acres, about halfway between Barrie and Wasaga Beach. It's gorgeous
> and visiting it is like going to a cottage year round.
>
> HOWEVER. They're now too far from Bell to do Sympatico DSL and _way_ too
> out of Rogers' reach.
>
> Are they doomed to dialup? Are there any satellite or other high-speed
> options?
>
> Any suggestions or pointers are appreciated.

Sounds like a great location for a Linux Bush Party, after they get
their rural high-speed from Everus Communications.  (I'm not a customer
but I've met them and they seem clueful, so I'm shilling)  You can get
high speed connections depending on the line-of-site and distance to one
of their towers.  You'll have to check with them for a coverage map.  I
didn't see one in a quick trip to their web page but perhaps you'll have
better luck. http://everus.ca/residential/r_default.html

Best regards,
Richard