Rural high-speed?

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon May 19 00:15:31 UTC 2008

On 5/17/08, Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a friend who just moved out to the country, or so it seems to me.
> Five acres, about halfway between Barrie and Wasaga Beach. It's gorgeous
> and visiting it is like going to a cottage year round.
>
> HOWEVER. They're now too far from Bell to do Sympatico DSL and _way_ too
> out of Rogers' reach.
>
> Are they doomed to dialup? Are there any satellite or other high-speed
> options?
>
> Any suggestions or pointers are appreciated.

Yes, there are satelite options available in Canada, such as:

  www.virgintechnologies.com
  www.galaxybroadband.ca

Note, that I said available, I did NOT say cheap!!!

Another thought would be, how far are these folks from someone who
could get DSL service and what is the terrain? If the answer is not
too far (say a few km.) and they have line of sight to said person, it
might be worth looking into directional WiFi antennas. Idea here being
to cut some sort of deal with the person who can get DSL (rent a shelf
in a closet?), and setting up a pair of directional WiFi antennas...

> - Evan

Colin McGregor