Please inform your independant ISP if Bell is throttling non-P2P stuff

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun May 18 06:45:26 UTC 2008

  Renaming the thread because this is going off on a tangent.

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 05:31:12PM -0400, Tyler wrote

> Being a big user of encryption, this Bell shaping is very painful...  TLS
> over SMTP, IMAPS, HTTPS, SSH, FreeNX over SSH, SCP, SFTP, OpenVPN, and
> occasionally proxying to squid over SSH, etc, all encrypted.  With the
> exception of most web surfing, almost everything I do is encrypted and
> therefore throttled... meaning my 5mbits connection is now about 30kB/s
> between 4pm and sometime in the morning.

  Tyler, if you can document this with screenshots/video/whatever
*PLEASE* do so and email rocky-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org offering it to him. See
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20484979-If-you-have-traffic-other-than-P2P-affected-by-Throttling
for a thread on this issue.

  A note to everybody...  The next stage of the CRTC's hearings into
the CAIP (Canadian Association of Internet providers) complaint against
Bell will only discuss the issues raised by CAIP.  CAIP has complained,
amongst other things, that Bell is throttling a lot of stuff in addition
to P2P.  Bell has denied doing so.  If it can be shown that Bell is
blocking a lot of other stuff, they'll be in more trouble.

  There are 2 different aspects of throttling-non-P2P-stuff

1) Does the entire connection connection get throttled to 30 kbits when
you're running P2P?  I don't do P2P so I don't know about that.

2) Does Bell throttle when you run encrypted stuff but are *NOT*
simultaneously running P2P?  I once had my connection throttled when I
was pulling usenet and simultaneously running getmail over an encrypted
connection on port 995.  That never seems to have happened again, so I
couldn't document it.

  Note that you're submitting stuff that may be presented at official
hearings.  Please don't do anything stupid like faking/enhancing stuff.
That would be perjury.  Do remember to put on a datetime stamp if it
isn't already part of the documentation.

Stop the Squeegee Kids in Pinstripe Suits
Fight SAC's Canadian internet tax http://walterdnes.wordpress.com