permissions

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed May 14 01:11:26 UTC 2008

Mr Chris Aitken wrote:
> First of all, every time I have asked for help with permissions problems
> I'm offered a couple of things to try which don't work, then no more
> help...
>
> Of course, I'm not complaining (as no one's getting paid here). The
> reason I mention this is I want to know if I am not framing the
> questions properly or if permissions problems are just too complex and
> varying to hope that list help would be enough.
>
> Assuming it *is* possible to troubleshoot this via list help, here is my
> latest permissions problem: I have lost permission on my regular user
> account to even open a terminal. Icons have turned to red 'X's. Clearly
> I have so offended su and sudo that the system is shutting me out.
>
> How I got myself in this jam: I use scp to backup data from computer to
> computer:
>
> scp -r /home/thatpc/datatobackup 192.168.0.5:/otherpcbckupdrv
>
> and
>
> scp -r 192.168.0.5:/home/user/doc2bckup /bckupdrv
>
> It may not be pretty but it backs up the data from machine to machine.
>
> The problem is when I try to delete the backed up files (from time to
> time for various reasons). I don't have the permissions to do the
> deletes. So, I tried giving ownership to the regular user via 'sudo
> chown user otherpcbckupdrv'. I still couldn't delete files (because of
> parent directory permission), so I ran 'sudo chown user /'. The system
> got mad at me and now I've pooched the system in the house I've spent
> the most time on (especially gtkpod actually working with the iPod).
>
> Please be careful with your suggestions to me. I suck at this stuff and
> it has *always* ended up with a re-install (after the helper is suddenly
> incommunicado).
>
> Chris

I think the part that nailed you was the 'sudo chown user /' command.
What you probably wanted was 'sudo chown user .' (assuming you were in
the directory of concern).

I concur with Lennart's suggestion of using 'rsync', it's far, far
smarted than 'scp'. Specifically, I use 'rsync -av <source> <dest>'.

As for fixing the problem, I am not sure what to recommend. If you
didn't do a recursive chmod, then it should be a matter of 'chmod root
/', then 'chmod -R user /path/to/backup' to get (recursive) access to
your backup data.

Madi